Certified Practising Speech Pathologist
Carly Veness is a paediatric speech pathologist with postgraduate training in infant mental health. She has worked in a variety of public, private and not-for-profit settings in Melbourne in both clinical and research roles over the past 12 years. These include positions at the Royal Children’s Hospital, Northern Health, the Royal Women’s Hospital Neonatal Intensive & Special Care Unit, Alfred CYMHS, Vision Australia and the Murdoch Childrens Research Institute.
Carly has focused her private practice on the specific area of infant feeding and paediatric feeding and swallowing difficulties. She has particular experience working with children with reflux, allergy, and other gastrointestinal conditions, congenital heart disease, prematurity, growth faltering, vision impairment, developmental delay, tongue and lip tie, tube feeding and tube weaning. Carly also holds a volunteer support role for the Reflux Infants Support Association.
- Veness, C., Prior, M., Eadie, P., Bavin, E. & Reilly, S. (2014). Predicting autism diagnosis by 7 years of age using parent report of infant social communication skills. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, 50(9), 693-700.
- Veness, C., Prior, M., Bavin, E., Eadie, P., Cini, E. & Reilly, S. (2012). Early indicators of autism spectrum disorders at 12 and 24 months of age: A prospective, longitudinal comparative study. Autism, 16(2), 163-177.
- Goldfeld, S., Napiza, N., Quach, J., Veness, C., Reilly, S., Ukoumunne, O.C. & Wake, M. (2009). Let’s Read: A universal intervention to promote literacy in very young children. ACQuiring Knowledge in Speech, Language and Hearing, 11(2), 106-108.
- Veness, C. & Reilly, S. (2008). Mealtime interaction patterns between young children with cerebral palsy and their mothers: Characteristics and relationship to feeding impairment. Child: Care, Health and Development, 34(6), 815-24.
Presentations & Workshops
- Carly Veness (2015). Childhood feeding problems in the mental health setting: A relationship-based approach. Alfred Child & Youth Mental Health Service one-day workshop for Speech Pathologists & Mental Health Clinicians, Melbourne.
- La Trobe University Advanced Seminars in Speech Pathology – Speech Pathologists in Neonatal Care Panel for final year Speech Pathology students, Melbourne, May 2012; May 2013; April 2014; April 2015
- Carly Veness, Ines Anchondo, Skye Van Zetten. (2014). The Division of Responsibility in the treatment of childhood feeding problems: Client, Clinician & Context. Speech Pathology Australia National Conference, Melbourne.
- Carly Veness & Katherine Ong (2012). Nurturing the baby & the mother: The role of speech pathology in infant feeding. College of Lactation Consultants Victoria Annual Conference, Melbourne.
- O’Connor, Ong, Veness & Ho (2011). Investigation of early feeding abilities of infants with congenital cardiac conditions. Speech Pathology Australia National Conference, Darwin.
- Carly Veness, Margot Prior, Edith Bavin, Patricia Eadie, Eileen Cini, Sheena Reilly. (2011). Early signs of autism spectrum disorders: Developmental patterns from infancy to school age in a community sample of Victorian children. Speech Pathology Australia National Conference, Darwin
- Carly Veness, Margot Prior, Edith Bavin, Patricia Eadie, Sheena Reilly (2011). Early Communication in Autism Spectrum Disorders: Differentiating Autism, Developmental Delay, Specific Language Impairment, and Typical Development in a Population Sample. ASD Research Forum, Melbourne
- Carly Veness & Katherine Ong (2010). Infant Feeding Disorders & Food Refusal. RCH Clinical Paediatric Update, Melbourne.
- Rachel Pinczower & Carly Veness (2010). “Promoting oral feeding in the child with tube dependency &/or food refusal” & “Infant feeding: Assessment & Management” workshops. Gippsland Regional Association of Speech Pathologists (GRASP) meeting, Sale.
- Carly Veness, Margot Prior, Edith Bavin, Patricia Eadie & Eileen Cini (2009). Early signs of autism spectrum disorders in a community sample of Victorian children: The importance of early gestures. Asia Pacific Autism Conference, Sydney.
- Margot Prior, Carly Veness, Edith Bavin, Patricia Eadie & Eileen Cini (2008). Early signs of autism in infancy and early childhood in a community sample of Australian children. Poster for International Meeting for Autism Research, London.
- Carly Veness, Margot Prior, Patricia Eadie, Edith Bavin, Sheena Reilly, Eileen Cini & Laura Conway (2008). Early signs of autism spectrum disorders in infancy and early childhood: A community sample of Victorian children. Joint conference between the New Zealand Speech-Language Therapists Association & Speech Pathology Australia, Auckland.
- Libby Smith, Mark Mackay, Sue Watson, Bronwyn Parry-Fielder, Vicki Anderson, Carly Veness, Sue Block & Sheena Reilly (2006). EEG abnormalities in children with developmental stuttering. 21st Annual Scientific Meeting of the Epilepsy Society of Australia, Melbourne.
- Sheena Reilly, Vicki Anderson, Mark MacKay, Susan Block, Bronwyn Parry-Fielder, Libby Smith, Kerry Ttofari, Carly Veness and Susan Watson (2006). Electroencephalogram (EEG) Investigation in Children who Stutter. International Fluency Association 5th World Congress on Fluency Disorders, Dublin, Ireland.
- Sheena Reilly, Vicki Anderson, Sue Block, Mark Mackay, Bronwyn Parry-Fielder, Libby Smith, Kerry Ttofari, Carly Veness & Sue Watson (2006). Exploring the relationship between epilepsy and stuttering: An EEG investigation. Speech Pathology Australia National Conference, Fremantle.